Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stick It In Me

Oh, calm down, now—I’m referring to acupuncture! Today I participated in my second fertility acupuncture treatment at Re-Soul in Charleston.


After checking out my tongue and taking my twelve meridian pulses, to the rhythmic beats of Ali Farka (Did I mention this chick has great taste in music? Oh yeah, I did in my previous acupuncture post, Pins and Needles), AmyJo, my acupuncturist, herbalist and future BFF (just kidding, Val) commenced sticking me with tiny needles.

Last time twelve needles pierced my upper back, but today I was stuck with fifteen. Six in my hands (as pictured), six in my feet, two in my legs near my knees, and one in my upper sternum, all relatively painless.

AmyJo mixed up a new concoction of herbs for me, a recipe she recently discovered at a workshop she attended in Seattle. According to her, this potion will give the “emperor a throne”…Honestly, I’m not sure what that means, but as long as he stays clear of my uterus, we’re cool.

Unfortunately, these herbs taste way worse than the last batch—a flavor reminiscent of kerosene. I got the hiccups after taking them and thought I was going to vomit. I’m going to try to slam another shot’s worth before brushing my teeth, but I’m not sure I’m going to be able to keep this up (or down, for that matter).

Next week: Acupuncture appointment number three with a cherry on top—Eric will get a treatment, too! Don’t worry, honey, AmyJo said you can rest assured that the needles won’t go anywhere near your yin or yang.

6 comments:

  1. Hello there. Just found you from the MoJo Working Blog. I was interested about you mentioning adoption...it is something I am interested in as well even though we still want to have our own babies someday. It is really sad how hard it is to adopt (in my opinion). I just keep thinking of all the people who can conceive so easily and how they don't have to do homestudies and all the other things that go along with adoption...Its worth it but just so dang frustrating! Oh, I love that saying of your mom's "got glad in the same britches you just got sad in" I am going to remember that...sounds like something my mom would say! :) well nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my blog, Evie! Very nice to meet you too!

    Even before I knew how babies were made I knew I wanted to adopt! Sometimes I wonder if the reason we have trouble conceiving is because God wants us to adopt.

    It is discouraging to think about how expensive and how long it takes to adopt. In fact, my hubz FREAKED OUT about it when we first started looking into it, because he didn't know how much the average cost was. On the upside, it is a really great investment!

    Let's stay in touch! Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Just found your blog on Blog Frog, and had to stop over. I did acupuncture for infertility. It didn't work for me (or perhaps I didn't give it long enough, after 3 months I gave up). But I always felt amazing after. I hope that it works for you! I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping in on Gig Girl - I laughed out loud at your comment :) I needed that giggle!
    I've known many who swear by acupuncture. Nothing but good thoughts and prayers for you. I'll be checking in on you to see how you're doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies! I appreciate the encouragement. I always feel relaxed after acupuncture too. Many moons ago I did it to stop smoking and it worked, so I'm a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gig-Girl, where's your blog? I thought I followed it yesterday, but now I can't find it. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete