Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Five Facile Ways To Forecast Your Fertility

1. Ovulation Calendars and Calculators such as http://www.ovulation-calculator.com/ are free and easy, especially if you have a regular cycle. Simply enter in the date of your last period, cycle length and luteal phase length (if you aren’t sure, just select the defaults) and click to view your lucky date!


2. Basal Body Temperature is slightly more complicated, but also more precise. For less than $10 you can purchase a basal thermometer at your local pharmacy. This is a super-sensitive thermometer that tracks even the tiniest shift in your body temperature. Use it at the same time every morning before you even get out of bed—when your temperature spikes, ovulation is complete. Since it basically tells you after the fact, chart it for a month or so until you can begin to make your own prediction about when you are most fertile.

3. Fertility Monitors are more expensive than other methods (ranging from $150 to $250), but also give you up to seven days advanced notice prior to ovulation—especially great for those of us with slightly irregular cycles. The Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor is a digital reader that requires you to urinate on test sticks to predict ovulation. The OvaCue Monitor uses saliva to predict fertility. If you aren’t into bodily fluids, check out the Ov Watch, a digital, sporty, watch-like monitor that can be worn while sleeping.

4. Ovulation Predictor Kits are similar to pregnancy tests, since you have to urinate on them and wait a few minutes for the results. Although they don’t give you the heads up that the fertility monitors do, they are less expensive, averaging $35 for a one month supply.

5. Cervical Mucus changes throughout a woman’s cycle. At your most fertile time, cervical mucus is the consistency of egg whites and can be stretched up to about two inches between your thumb and forefinger. It’s your body’s natural lubricant to help the sperm on their journey to the egg. It may sound invasive, but it’s free and easy!

It’s up to you to decide the method that best suits your needs… or try a combination to discover your fertile days on your TTC journey!

4 comments:

  1. I remember when I was also fertility obsessed! Granted I was married to a moron and was using the ovulation predictors to tell me when NOT to have intimate relations, maybe one day I'll use them for their intended purpose. Best of luck in playing matchmaker between sperm and egg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That reminds me of the time I went to B&N to get the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility, which was recommended by a friend. But, when I saw that a third of it was dedicated to NOT getting pregnant, I was like-- I think I have this part down... so I really only need 2/3 of this book. Can I get a discount?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking of that book while reading your post...so funny b/c I was going to mention it and you already have! I read that book from cover to cover when I first got married...tried to chart and never could follow my cycle due to pcos wreaking havoc on my hormones...hopefully you all will have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to bookmark this for when I get ready to have the next one! :-)

    ReplyDelete